This week I received an invitation from Preeti Juneja, Marketing Senior Manager of www.whichhobbystore.com, to review this site from the standpoint of an RC toys aficionado. I have to tell you that I found this tool to be a great way to find RC models and parts for helis, airplanes, trucks, boats and more. As it is usual in my reviews I will tell you not just the superficial stuff of this but also that which can be useful or not to you. So far I’ve found great things about this search engine and I will be discussing those here.
Whichhobbystore.com is a search engine that has been up for a month, from what I can see its main purpose is to help people to find any RC gadget that you can think about. So far the site has listed over 6000 RC models and 240,000 parts, so it has a vast inventory for you to choose from. The overall look of the site is clean and the navigation is easy and it is present on Facebook and Twitter. The whole site is engineered to be user friendly and intuitive. The way it works is very simple; just type the name, brand, or model of the toy you want to find and whichhobbystore.com will bring it to you.
What can you expect from this search engine?
I’ve been using the search engine for two days now and the site looks great, I’ve found that it is really fast to find not just the model that I type in but also the spare parts that are good to use with that model. In my point of view this site can become an authority in the RC hobbies field since it is very clean and well done; both the Facebook and Twitter profiles look good and this helps to build trust among the hobby shoppers.
Another thing that is worth to mention is that the site has a beta label, which I applaud since this means that the site owners are looking to improve the visitor’s experience and thus provide a better service.
What I liked
There are many, many good things about this site to say, however I will speak only of those which I consider the most important and useful for an RC aficionado like me.
- Variety of models: The site offers a great variety of toys for RC helicopters, airplanes trucks, boats and quadcopters, not to mention the huge amount of spare parts, batteries, accessories, servos, wires and tools that can be found here.
- Availability display: This is very useful since it rapidly displays if an item is available or not with a specific merchant. As far as I can see Whichhobbystore.com is not an ecommerce so they will refer you to another website that actually has the toy. The availability display tells the availability of the merchant. The availability of items is refreshed several times a day so the information here is up to date.
- Navigation: The site is well organized and this facilitates navigation. The site is not filled with ads which really help to keep the visitor interested without being distracted. The left panel allows you to find any toy and it is divided in categories as well.
- Social presence: As I told you before this site is present on Facebook and Twitter, this is a big thumbs up since that provides a lot of interaction with users.
What I did not like
It is my duty as well to mention those aspects of this site that I think can be improved, the overall experience is great but with some little fixes here and there I think it could be great. I have to say that my only purpose for publishing this is to help to spread the message about this platform and hopefully get some comments from other hobbyists so they can speak for themselves.
- Contact us: Even when there are some links to contact the team behind whichhobbystore.com, it only appears a window with an email address; this in my opinion could be improved in order to convey more trust to people. A full page with all the details would do a much better job. Remember that we as hobbyists are being referred to a merchant where we will pay money, so it is critical to have this.
- Availability display: Even when this is something that I liked, there is no way to communicate with the merchant via whichhobbystore.com to see when the item will be available or at least let them know that someone is looking for it.
- Not educative: This site will display just the products but doesn’t give any information about them besides the specifications available everywhere; I can understand it since it is a search engine but the true power of a website relies in how good it can retain visitors, not in how many pages or products it has. Having said this I would like to see a blog where interesting articles and really useful information is given to the public.
My overall impression about the RC hobby stores search engine
Overall this site works great, the search engine experience is a very good one and I think you should try this site. You can find almost any toy or part that you are looking for, hopefully if not you could contact whichhobbystore.com and ask them for help. The details I pointed out are not a big deal and they can be corrected very easy. I would like to see some comments about this search engine and hopefully in the near future write another review with updated information and great tips to share.
To your flight success!!!